Monday, May 21, 2007

Shrikhand Wadi

The next step

As a follow up to my previous post on shrikhand, I wanted to add a note about something that is made by processing it further. It is even lower or non-existent on my favoritism-meter, so this is only in the spirit of enlightening!

shrikhand vadi

These are called shrikhandachya wadya and they are made by cooking the chakka and sugar together until it comes together to a soft dough consistency. At that stage the flavors like cardamom and saffron are added to it and the dough is then rolled out onto a flat surface. Slivers of nuts are pressed onto it, and it is cut into diamond shapes, similar to burfis.

On a related note, waDI (singular) or waDyA (plural) is a food concept well entrenched in maharashtrian food. It is different from waDA (singular) or waDEy (plural) that are more well-known, and with which it sometimes gets confused. Geometrically, a wada is usually round, oblong, or spherical whereas a wadi is generally flat and shaped like a square, rectangle, diamond, or sometimes round. Wadis could be sweet, like naralachya wadya made of coconut, or savory, like kothimbir wadis made of cilantro, and wadas are typically savory and deep fried. Exceptions exist, as always.

11 comments:

Roopa said...

hmm i have a box of shrikand freezed hope to try this...unless ithas turned sour...

Anonymous said...

I am so with you. I hate this stuff. But you make it look good!

FH said...

I have never heard of this E! But I do make Shrikand.Looks gorgeous:))

evolvingtastes said...

roopa, if you try it out, let me know how it turns out, ok?

manisha, now that is high praise, but thanks!

asha, thanks, but some things are better not known. Just kiddding - I know lots of people who really like shrikhandachya vadya.

Priyanka said...

hey,
jumped onto your blog from the cooker's. You have some pretty cool recipes here. Loved reading your informative posts. btw- agree- shrikhand wadi doesnt taste gud. but hadnt come across anyone else's post on this less known dessert and it revived some good old memories. thanks for sharing

evolvingtastes said...

Thanks Priyanka, and you are welcome! It is definitely one of those things that is on the decline, which is why I thought of mentioning it here. Will be looking forward to your gujarati-maharashtrian dishes.

Sam-Damn said...

hey i m in love with shrikhand vadya..can u write down how to make dudhi vadya and aamba vadi...i think they r the best sweets to grab and eat...i carried them on flight to sydney and i was glad i did it....can u put a receipy for KHARWAS...i wont be able to get the milk with CHEEK but is there any other way to compensate for that...

evolvingtastes said...

Hi Shamira, welcome to my blog, and thanks for your comments. I have never made dudhi vadis, and the amba vadis that I have tried to make so far have never been that good.

For kharwas, I do have the recipe for the real thing on the blog. There are many versions floating around that use eggs or yogurt and other things, and they come close in taste, but they aren't quite the real thing to me! :-)

Sam-Damn said...

hey i have tasted kharwas in sydney made by one auntie and she had put egg into it...it turned out well..it wasnt that sweet as it in girgam shops but still worth it...may b we should put a receipy for it...i will try it and put it...wat say?

evolvingtastes said...

Shamira, sure, if you have a good recipe why not! btw, do you have a blog? I could not tell because your blogger profile is not available.

Anonymous said...

I love Shrikhand vadi, but never thought of making it at home. I liked your delicous looking vadis and I am going to try making them at home. Thanks for the recipe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...