Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Translating India, Sometimes Fluently


The New York Times Praises Ammini's book

(Free registration required to read the article)

This article written by Anne Mendelson appeared today in the New York Times, full of praise for the book "Grains, Greens and Grated Coconuts", written by Ammini Ramachandran. Makes me feel so proud to have known Ammini. Please join me in congratulating her on this achievement!

Here is what part of the article has to say about the book:

"Grains, Greens and Grated Coconuts," a self-published volume sold almost exclusively online, is a much more consistent work whose virtues are the direct opposite of those in "The Calcutta Kitchen." Expect no photographic tours or colorful reportorial vignettes. The purpose of this modest no-frills book is to place a region, its history, and its family and cultural heritages into a coherent context for understanding food.

Instead of trying to cover all menu bases that an editor might insist on, Ms. Ramachandran is free to concentrate on unorthodox categories, including amazingly diverse “curries” (sauced vegetable combinations), pickles and preserves, breakfast specialties, rice dishes associated with sacred observances and temple or rite-of-passage offerings.

Other books have ably explored India’s far southern territory, but Ms. Ramachandran reveals amazing range and depth in Kerala’s Hindu vegetarian traditions. And American home cooks should find her introductions to ingredients, techniques and equipment accessible.


You can purchase the book directly from Ammini's Website or on Amazon

More reviews of the book at

Jugalbandi
RP's Workshop
Indian Food Rocks

8 comments:

Green Mirchi said...

cool. I was not aware of her books.. will go buy it rightaway. thanks for the post..

evolvingtastes said...

Hi pacchai milagai! Nice to see you here. I think you will like the book.

FH said...

I have that book and I love the stories and recipes too.Congrats to her!:))

KellytheCulinarian said...

I'll have to put this on my list.

bee said...

Ammini's recipes are a treat. Glad that she is getting the recognition she deserves. Jai (Jugalbandi)

evolvingtastes said...

Asha, I am so glad you bought the book. I remember you mentioned that you might buy it when I first posted about it. Also, do tell Ammini that you like the stories and recipes!

Kelly, I hope you get the book. I think you will like it.

Hi Jai - nice to see you here. Usually it is the busy-bee who stops by to comment.

Prachi said...

I really need to buy Ammini's book. Am going to get it when I go back. It's great that NYT has given it so much publicity, no?

evolvingtastes said...

Yes, desiknitter, good for Ammini! She really deserves it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...